Subject: [Leica] Philip from Nankhunda
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Dec 9 04:43:09 2007

Travelling to and working in Africa means meeting people, for me. The
work we do is important in the long run, but there are plenty of
people whose lives you can play a role in, in the short run. You can't
save the world. You learn to say no.

Meet Philip Tambala:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0276_large.html
http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0278_large.html

He wasn't a beggar. I bought his "calendar elephants" of wood (12
elephants, from large to small). I paid too much for them so he could
buy seed (too much = I didn't haggle). I even bought 6 more in order
to make a down-payment on fertilizer.

My only request was that I wanted to see the receipts.

We met on the first day.

Two days later he was back with a long story about why he didn't have
the receipts with him (bought on the black-market). But he needed a
lot more for fertilizer.

I explained that I had done my part. I appreciated his situation, but
I wasn't made of money. I still wanted proof of what he had done.

He was a fast talker. His command of English was amazing, but his
mastery of logic and disposition was somewhat confusing.

He came back more and more. I was firm. Not a penny more.

But his story made sense.

After 10 days I put him together with the Chief Exectutive Officer:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0561_large.html

All I wanted to know was if his story was straight or not. You really
need fertilizer after planting corn (once knee-high and once again as
"top dressing"). Each bag cost, subsidized, around 6 USD. But the
coupons for claiming the subsidized price were not getting
distributed. The market price was about 5 times more, per bag (50 kg),
and he needed 4 bags. That's starting to look like 120 USD and I
wanted assurance.

The CEO and him had a long talk. After two hours I came in. I asked if
I could see the fields and we agreed on Friday (the last day of my
visit).

We had had a long running discussion and our agreement felt like a
resolution.

The day before they, my colleagues, started hesitating about taking me
there. The CEO more or less made sure I would be safe, but there were
other security aspects.

Blood-suckers.

It was well-known that blood-suckers were attacking the people.
Ripping up holes in roofs, sneaking in at night and sucking out blood.
Anyone coming in a vehicle might be seen as coming to negotiate with
the chief about when they could come and suck blood. They would then
stone the car and us before asking why we were there.

But on Friday morning I came to work early, 7 am, and Philip was
waiting for me. He was for real.

We bought the fertilizer and headed off. The kids greeted us:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0510_large.html

The girl on the left took a liking to me:
http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0511_large.html
http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0513_large.html

That's her in the background, disappearing into the hills with my
green camera back (and all my cameras) on her back:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0515_large.html

I called her back.

Told these guys to keep trying, I used to work the streets of East St. Louis:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0517_large.html

Philip is a gentleman and helped his wife pick up the 100 pound bag:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0518_large.html
http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0519_large.html

He took the next one:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0520_large.html
http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0521_large.html

And his oldest son took the last one (the fourth one I had sent out in
good faith days before):

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0523_large.html

And there goes my camera bag again:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0526_large.html

The village:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0528_large.html

Philip's sister-in-law died and in a matriarchy her husband was
required to move out of the house, but also required to leave the
children behind. There were four.

Philip is now responsible for 8 children, one wife, two grandmothers
and himself.

The property is still owned by the mother's family, but they are not
there anymore:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0530_large.html

He was telling the truth. He had planted the seed and he did need
fertilizer (I had already come to trust him so I had brought the
fertilizer sight unseen):

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0536_large.html

His youngest son is sick with malaria, the deadliest kind:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0538_large.html

This is where they live. The outer room is about as big as a coffee
table and the inner room is about as big as two coffee tables:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0540_large.html

No pictures. I was invited in but had to tactfully leave after a
minute of fighting off the mosquitoes and holding back puke.

The grandmothers:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0542_large.html
http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0543_large.html
http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0545_large.html

The 3-bedroom house he is building.

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0551_large.html

He can't afford a roof yet (I think I see some work cut out for me in
January when I go back).

He paid about 85 USD to have others build the house for him (he baked
the bricks himself right there in the front). You didn't need to ask
what they were smoking:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0553_large.html

Neighbors:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0554_large.html

Our departure:

http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0558_large.html
http://www.dlridings.se/lightroom/PhilipTambala/content/_DSC0560_large.html

I was privileged to be allowed such a personal tour of his family, but
the trust is there now. Africa is about people and you don't dump each
other.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Philip from Nankhunda)
Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Philip from Nankhunda)