Subject: [Leica] Traveling abroad with film
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon Dec 17 03:31:28 2007

Hi Forrest,

>I'm de-lurking to ask about people's experiences with X-rays and film, I'll
>be traveling to Italy and Greece at the end of the month, and I don't want
>to end up with fogged film, I'll be using a variety of films (Plus-X,
>Tri-X,
>Ektachrome, and some c-41) any recommendations?

I've travelled through many airports in the last 10 years with film,
including Kodak TMZ (P3200) and never had any problems.  I carried film
including Neopan 1600 through Fiumicino Airport in Rome three times in
September and October this year and the negs look fine.  LuGger Jeffrey
Smith had some film cooked somewhere domestically (in the USA) and I have
heard from others who have had similar experiences.  Your highest risk may
be right at home - I haven't travelled with film in the USA.

Always carry your film on the plane with you; if you put it in your checked
luggage a CTX5000 or similar dual-beam scanner (now used at almost every
airport bigger than a grass strip anywhere in the world) will reliably fog
your film.

At Pulkovo Airport in St Petersburg, Russia, the security personnel were
happy to hand-inspect my film when they saw much of it was Neopan 1600.  In
Adelaide, South Australia, where I live, the security people will not
hand-inspect.  I don't bother trying to ask anymore.

Bear in mind, though, that if the operator has a modern scanner at their
disposal and they turn the machine up enough, it can fog film.  I usually
put it through and let them know what it is - if you're in a place where you
don't speak the language, gesturing if it's okay to the staff as you put
your huge ziplock bag of film into the little plastic tray is usually
sufficient.

Good luck,

Marty

Gallery:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/main.php?g2_itemId=7617

Most people can only judge of things by the experiences of ordinary life,
but phenomena outside the scope of this are really quite numerous.
        Shen Kuo - 'Dream Pool Essays'

--
Got No Time? Shop Online for Great Gift Ideas!
http://mail.shopping.com/?linkin_id=8033174