Subject: [Leica] Christmas time, N.M.
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sat Dec 22 17:39:04 2007

Phillipe,

I don't know the accurate history of the Taos Pueblo.  As I recall, it began
around 1,000 C.E.  It is definitely one of the most photographed things in
New Mexico (Icon #1, as Ansel said, is the St. Francis of Assisi Church in
Rancho de Taos, N.M., and yes, I have plenty of images from there also.)
But yes, this would fall into the "poorer places".  In the region from Taos
to Santa Fe, you can find anything from humble pueblos to $20 million
vacation homes.  I have a portfolio ongoing from about 1990 of the Laguna
Pueblo.  The people there are poor (in $), but very friendly (in many of the
pueblos, photography is not allowed), and believe themselves to be
descendants of the Anasazi.  I also have a small portfolio of Anasazi rock
art and dwellings.

I have been to the Taos Pueblo (and others) at various times of the year,
but now only go in winter time, when no one else is there but the locals.
It is only 600 miles or so from where I live. Thanks for looking.

Ken

p.s. Almost all of my work in the pueblos is with LF view cameras.  This was
my only venture with a digital camera.