Subject: [Leica] IMG: face to face
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Dec 23 22:54:36 2007

Robert Meier Offered in rebuttal:

Subject: Re: [Leica] IMG: face to face

Ted,

If he had bent his knees to get a lower viewpoint, then he would not be
looking down on the foreground as much, and it would not loom so large in
the frame. That is an important part of the picture, while the slanting
verticals are trivial and of no importance.  I think he made the right
choice.   When you're making an architectural shot on a tripod, you worry
about the verticals.   He was concerned with very different things that are

far more important to the image.

Ted had offered as critique:

> Bon jour Philippe,

> Very interesting. I like it because of it's simplicity and question "well

> OK

> who left the chairs?"

> But do you know what? I'd like it a whole lot better if you had bent your

> knees and squatted down rather than tilting the camera down!

> If you look at the buildings in the background they are distorted and all
bend outwards! Yes I know I'm knit picking and it's hardly noticeable.

>However as simple or knit picking as some may think my comment is, I'm
explaining the difference between doing it absolutely correct in camera
handling as a skilled photographer or looking like a rookie!

> I always check the sides of the viewfinder to make sure the building
vertical lines are straight and not tilted as we see them here. It only
takes a second as a quick scan of the eye around the frame to make sure
everything is straight.

> It maybe a small inconsequential item in the eyes of some, however it's
the difference between doing it right or half assed! Or maybe to be more
polite,not perfect!

>Other than that it's an interesting photo and as someone asked. "I wonder

> what it would look like in B&W!" Hey and there aren't any people, so it
might make an interesting "art photo."

>ted

No Robert if he'd lowered himself by squatting it would've still kept the
foreground as strong because the camera would've been closer and still
filling the frame.

Regardless of tilting or not, what do you want to do, use the equipment
correctly or half assed? My point is, how do you want your pictures to look?

Do you want to be seen as a competent user or not? It's tiny little things
like this that sort out those who create interesting and talented work.

If you have no problem with the tilting then why not go all the way and
really tilt it right down, stop down to 16 or 22 and have it crispy sharp
inches from the lens to infinity.

The distortion would be really wild and the funny thing? Acceptable! Why?
Because it's so obvious compared to a little bit that makes the shooter look
incompetent.

I don't know about you, but when I'm shooting where buildings are in the
frame  I make sure the verticals are correct. Even though the structures are
of secondary aspect. And that's hand holding!

The worse thing is a tiny bit off rather than a major tilt of great
distortion as the eye will accept the wild angle because it and the brain
understand it isn't supposed to be straight.

In any event I see this as one of those discussions that can go on for some
time without settling anything because basically we're of differing
opinions. Actually it should be by the fire and a cold beer in hand. :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] IMG: face to face)