Subject: [Leica] New Year's Celebrations in Sweden
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Dec 31 11:23:47 2007

This might come as a surprise for some, those who don't associate
church going with the secular society of Sweden.

We first went to the highest point in G?teborg to watch the
fire-works. We went to Masthuggskyrkan (Mast-builder-church). G?teborg
is a seafaring city, dating way back to the East Indian Company.

During the second world war the church was almost intentionally blown
up by the city. It was felt that it functioned all to well as a
landmark if enemy ships got in to the harbor. They didn't blow it up,
fortunately:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/dlridings/album08/_DSC0209.jpg.html

The service was well attended:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/dlridings/album08/_DSC0234.jpg.html

In the background you can see how the second floor, where the huge
pipe organ is housed, is built up with ... masts.

Happy New Year all!

Daniel

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] New Year's Celebrations in Sweden)