Subject: [Leica] Re: Shotbags? Sandbags? I got a gig!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Jan 2 09:04:31 2008

Eric Korenman <faneuil@gmail.com> wrote:

> Need some advise. I will be setting up a mini-studio at a friend's party.

> The party is guaranteed to be loud and get crazy.<<<

Hi Eric,

Before any advice I have to ask "What are going to be shooting at a party?
Possibly attended by a group of wild wild people under some kind of liquid
or otherwise substance?

> I will have at least three stands.

> One for a stobe/softbox, one for reflector (possible second strobe) and
one for the camera.

> Camera will be triggered by radio remote.<<<

And where will you be in relation to these stands and tripod with camera?
Are they going to be set up in a different room from your description with
access controlled so there isn't a mob scene and everything is kicked over
even if you have 100 lb bags of concrete for ballast?. ?

> The party is guaranteed to be loud and get crazy.<<<

Before you answer, if it were me?

I'd have the camera in hand and shoot with the light of the location and to
hell with setting up strobes because every time you fire there'll be a "big
flash" only to drive the revelers onto more wild and crazy antics just to
have their pictures taken.

Basically free hand the camera and if necessary to use strobe, can't
understand why if you can see the people, put the strobes in far off corners
using "box lighting" as in the old LIFE goes to a party shoot!  The lights?
To avoid the possibility of being kicked over, perhaps behind large
furniture pieces and a remote sensor on camera so you can move about and the
strobes will fire anytime you trip the shutter."WITH ABSOLUTELY NO CORDS
ANYWHERE!"

Other than using lights if I can see the people, I'd shoot it this way. Set
the camera at 3200 and fly with it and you're assured of great mood along
with great photos. Sure you'll probably blow a few, but what the heck at a
party what's the big deal? Because sooner than later you'll shoot hundreds
of frames and have all the drunks in there sometime or other. :-)

You are welcome! :-)

ted