Subject: [Leica] Some news that's somewhat fit to print
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Jan 3 06:55:12 2008

At 12:17 AM 1/3/2008, wildlightphoto@earthlink.net wrote:

 >My PurrFur and my daughter's Lily (toy rat terrier) are like sisters.
 >Sometimes they fight but most often they're best friends.

When we lived in Roanoke, the cats lived on a sun
porch and constantly teased my dogs.  The one
surviving dog has a REALLY strong resentment
against the cats, and they know it,
viscerally.  So, we keep them at a distance, even
when both are in the house at the same time.  My
wife keeps blaming the dog, which is stupid, but so be it.

I get alone with my cats, Sadie Sue and Fat Fred,
as I tend to ignore them as I have always ignored
all but two of the cats who have appeared in my
life.  This makes them really anxious to be my
buddy.  I can restrain my enthusiasm.  We get along.

Back in the longago, about the time Ted Grant
qualified for his Old Age Pension for the twelfth
time, I was a teen-ager.  This was the early
1960's and I was interested in astronomy and had
one of those fabulous Swift 839 60mm
refractors.  I'd get up at 2 in the AM to view
something, and my sister's cats would invariably
wrap themselves around the legs of the
tripod.  More than forty years later, whenever I
take out my Questar or my 3" Swift 831 (and YES
that took me years to find!), my current crop of
cats again wrap themselves around the tripod
legs.  Some things never change!  They get bored
when I ignore them for a while and go roll around
in my wife's flower beds.  (These are NOT 'clean' cats!)

They spend their days with access to the garage
and thus they have access to my
telescopes.  These are firmly planted.  These
cats do not puke or piss.  Nonetheless, they
never have access to the room I laughingly call
my library -- all the books are in great disorder
and many are still in boxes, with more
bookshelves to build -- where I keep my camera
gear.  So, no cat can puke or piss on my photographic equipment.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!