Subject: [Leica] [WTB] Summicron 35mm f/2 3rd or 4th version
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jan 3 14:20:17 2008

> Guys, it would have been easy to recommend the top of the line Leica lens
> had he said that price was no object. But price was an object, and Leica
> lenses, the best ones in particular, hold their value very well. Anything I
> say can be made to look foolish if you take it completely out of context. I
> thought I made that clear when I prefaced it with "Exactly in your price
> range" in the preceding sentence. This isn't an attack on Leica quality or
> statement that Zeiss is better than Leica at any cost. I thought it was the
> best he could get in his price range. It that wasn't clear, then I hope
> this
> clears up that point of confusion.
>
> Sheeeze!!!!!

Yes this "price is an object" thing is very popular on the LUG in the past
years with the third party lens available for our camera bodies.
Before that the object was gathering the money up to pay for an optic we
knew would not be cheap.
Now the price point we throw up just happens to be the price of a Cosina
Voigtl?nder or other such glass and that's supposed to be written on the
stones brought down by Charlton Heston but our price is what we want it to
be - what we set it at.

In the old days if we had to have a lower price point for our Leica bodies
we got Leica glass from former generations. If we were outfitting out LTM
bodies we got Canon, Nikon or Russian gems of lightly coated glass.
Now we get brand new pie in the sky Zeiss bulk made in Japan and think its a
perfect antidote to the ever high price of a new Leica lens.
As I was just telling Doug Herr if I wanted a fake I'd get a real fake' not
a fake fake.

I think its a Fig Newton of our own imaginations.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

To me the money needs to go on the glass.
Get a Bessa L for 60 bucks.
Then put a real Zeiss or Leica wide angle on it!
For the 2 - 3 grand it cost.

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] [WTB] Summicron 35mm f/2 3rd or 4th version)