Subject: [Leica] IMG: Hand, 2
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Mon Jan 7 08:46:48 2008

> Thanks, but saturated is what sells these days - way over-saturated
> usually.  The thumbnail has to stand out in the crowd:

If you look at that mix, though, (as much as I could stand to,
anyway) it's not JUST the oversaturated colors.  Those are shots that
were designed from the beginning for that treatment... very simple,
very graphic, very two-dimensional style.  They read easily and
quickly as thumbnails because they haven't GOT anything that's not
immediately apparent.  They're camera cartoons, really - no depth, no
reality.  And you're right, that's what's in the mass markets. The
world as DisneyLand.

I'm not sure you can get there from here on your files, from what
I've seen.   Your photos depend on the relationship between your
subjects and you, and all the complexity and nuance and detail that
brings into them.  I don't think you can take that out of them
without ripping the guts out and STILL winding up with an inferior
product.  You're trying to play Bach on a ukulele, and it doesn't
work so well ...

I think you have to start with that sort of output in mind and plan
your images to work that way.  Maybe you could experiment with that a
little on the trip, see if you can find images that want to be bright
meaningless glitz and glamour, forget impressing the LUGgers, and see
what happens?

In the meantime, when do we get to see YOUR books?   :-)

(please imagine big puppydog eyes in the smiley as I can't find a
character for them.)
--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com