Subject: [Leica] OT: Value of Rolleiflex
From: Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Fri Jan 11 13:58:15 2008

I have a close-to-mint 2.8F 12/24 for which I paid far more than $600 in
the summer of 2000. Mint or not, I use it several times a year.

I wonder if the 2.8Fs with Planars are more in demand by collectors
because Rollei used Planars first, adding Xenotars in order to meet the
demand for more Rolleis, because Zeiss couldn't produce enough Planars.
The perception might be that the Xenotars were Rollei's second choice.

To my eye, the Xenotar produces images with ever so slightly more robust
colors than those from the Planar... but my eyes are getting old so I
could be wrong.

All of my lenses for my Rollei 6008i are Schneider, including the superb
80mm Xenotar.  The only exception is the F-Distagon 30mm by Zeiss,
because that's all that I could find... at any rate I'm not certain that
Schneider makes one.

Jim, "but what do I know? I went to art school" Hemenway