Subject: [Leica] OT: Value of Rolleiflex
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Jan 11 21:22:57 2008

At 04:58 PM 1/11/2008, Jim Hemenway wrote:

 >I wonder if the 2.8Fs with Planars are more in demand by collectors
 >because Rollei used Planars first, adding Xenotars in order to meet the
 >demand for more Rolleis, because Zeiss couldn't produce enough Planars.
 >The perception might be that the Xenotars were Rollei's second choice.

Well, yes and no.

Franke & Heidecke was perfectly satisfied by the
2.8/8cm CZJ Biometar they used on the 2.8B, but
Carl Zeiss objected to their ordering any more
and offered the Planar, newly reconfigued by Hans
Sauer, as a substitute.  F&H then negotiated a
separate deal with Schneider to cover themselves
if they had a terminal breach with Carl
Zeiss.  At some points, the JSK-lensed cameras
actually sold for more than did the CZ-lensed ones.

The JSK lenses produced for the 600x cameras are
a different stories.  For around 15 years, Rollei
and JSK were both owned by Mandermann, and he
tried to get Rollei to go with only JSK lenses,
an effort which failed though JSK did make some
outstanding lenses for the camera line.

There are very few Rolleiflex collectors, as Stan
Tamarkin keeps learning with every one of his
auctions, and those who do collect Rollei tend to
glom on the VERY early stuff, such as Heidoskops
and Oringal Rolleiflex Zwei-augens.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!