Subject: [Leica] OT: Value of Rolleiflex
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Jan 11 21:22:08 2008

At 03:34 PM 1/11/2008, David Rodgers wrote:
 >On the modern performance scale, the Planar is 14.2 megapixels. The
 >Xenotar is 14.19. But Planar had the name recognition. So I guess they
 >go for more. :-)

I am not certain what this "modern performance
scale" might be, but I would have to have a lot
more information before accepting any such
"megapixel" figure for lenses designed for analog use.

I have owned Rolleiflex and Rolleicords with CZJ
and ZO and CZ lenses and with JSK lenses, with
Triotars and Tessars and Planars and Xenars and
Xenotars.  I have never found any substantive
differences between Xenar and Tessar or between
Planar and Xenotar.  The lenses are effectively
identical in performance, all else being equal.

One problem is that all of these lenses up
through the 2.8F's were hand-assembled and thus
the variations within a given batch of lenses
were a lot broader than we now recall -- a good
Xenotar would beat a mediocre Planar on any day, and vice versa.

Much as a I hate to disagree with Jeffrey, the
value of 2.8F and 3.5F cameras seems to be driven
far more by the user market than by the
collectors.  Yes, a NIB 2.8F will bring a
premium, but these cameras tend to be sold more
for use than for sitting on a shelf.

I would suggest #400 to $700 for a w.8F in honest
E condition, with all respect for McKeown's Law.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers) ([Leica] OT: Value of Rolleiflex)