Subject: [Leica] When in doubt ask photographer
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jan 13 11:06:11 2008

B.D., offered with wisdom:

>> Next time you want to photograph a group of friends in a social
situation, try sitting still. Don't get up and move around for the best
shot; pick the one best spot and sit in it. Don't photograph for a while,
and when everyone has forgotten about you, start shooting.<<<<

B.D.,

Absolutely!

Here's a simple example of how sitting in the chair works.

I was to shoot the Prime Minister and his inner circle people in a meeting.
A real meeting not staged for pictures.

I'm in the room before anyone else, check the lighting and who's going to be
sitting where at the big table.

I pick a chair by a wall in relation to best light, "which is always number
one" and sit down.

People begin to arrive, I'm already there like I am supposed to be sitting
in my chair. I do  not acknowledge anyone because I'm a wall fixture.

3 M's loaded before hand with the lenses most likely to be required. Meeting
starts, arguments begin, along with all kinds of stuff and absolutely no one
is paying any attention to the fact there's a photographer sitting in the
room quietly clicking away picking off beautiful expressions and hand
gestures.

Now I want to move and how do I do that without drawing attention to myself?
So damn easy you wont believe it!

First you pick the spot you want to move to, check the "path way" to avoid
banging into anything and that you have an unimpeded way. Then watch for all
the heads to be in a direction away from you and where you're going. It
happens and off you go!

Hugging cameras tightly to chest to avoid banging together creating a
distraction. Move quietly, not necessarily fast! But do it in one motion
directly to your newly selected shooting chair.  Sit down and don't move!
DON'T MOVE!!!!!!

When people turn their heads in the direction where you were you're not
there and the meeting continues as though you were never there in the first
place!

Then you watch the light, expressions and click quietly away. :-)

See how easy that is without anyone "acting to your existence!" :-)

Thanks BD for reminding me about that sit down thing. :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest) ([Leica] When in doubt ask photographer)