Subject: [Leica] Re: When in doubt ask photographer
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun Jan 13 12:23:31 2008

At 02:48 PM 1/13/2008, you wrote:
>Everybody following this discussion here should ask him/herself: if a
>photographer moved into your house for a week, then was positioned here and
>there at various times taking photos of your daily routine and activities,
>would the photographer ever disappear into the background of your lives
>(except, of course, when you are asleep, passed out drunk or otherwise
>insentient)?
>
>Emanuel Lowi

I don't think anybody who is claiming that it's impossible for
someone to forget that a photographer is there has ever been really,
really busy or involved in a task.  I know that the people in Central
America forget that I'm there.  I can tell you of many cases when I'm
sitting quietly in a dark corner and startle someone if I suddenly
move or make a noise.  Neighbors come and leave without ever
realizing that I'm there.  Don't forget, it's very dark in those
adobe houses.  That's why I have to use Leica lenses!  The women are
too busy making tortillas, fetching water, building fires, feeding
children, cooking - and the men are too busy farming - to pay any
attention to me sitting quietly in a dark corner.  They've told me
many times that they have forgotten all about me and they usually
apologize for neglecting me.

When I used to teach school, I would sometimes have observers come
and sit in the classroom for various reasons.  When they were first
there, I would be nervous and self-conscious but as soon as I would
get into teaching and involved with the kids, I would truly forget
all about their presence.  Busy and involved people tend to focus on
what they are doing.  Have you never been so involved that you are
oblivious to what's going on around you?

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/portfolio