Subject: [Leica] What to use for concert photography?
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Sun Jan 20 18:45:46 2008

Richard,

I do not know anything about the E3 so I can't comment on its noise.
You will want at least a 70-200 2.8.  Do you know how high the stage is
and how far from it the shooting positions are?  You may need more than
a 200 even.  I have found that unless you can get close to the same
level as the stage you need a longer lens to avoid shooting "up the
nose".

When you shoot put in spot meter mode and meter the face then check the
histogram.

I can't imagine shooting a concert with a rangefinder, that is not
something that I think it would be best at.

You can see some of my concert stuff from this past summers CMA Music
Festival at:

http://www.pbase.com/2plus2/cmaff

This event was lit for TV and I was on a riser right in front of the
stage and on level with the singers...some of those were shot with a
16mm lens!  That is a 16 on a 5D...so yes I was REALLY close.  If you
search the MSN music photos from that event most of those were my photos
also.

Hope this helps a little.

--
Harrison McClary