Subject: [Leica] Extenders
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jan 21 06:36:41 2008

Tarek Charara <tarek.charara@pix-that-stimulate.com> wrote:

>I'm in need for some longer glass (in the 400mm range) for an
>assignment, the longest lens I have actually is a 2.8/180R (the
>latest APO thing). I was thinking about the 2x extender, or maybe
>even the 2x apo extender...
>
>What is the general opinion on those extenders? The normal 2x
>extender can be had for very little money...

The 2x APO will cause slight image degradation in carefully-controlled tests
but I doubt many people would notice a difference in real-world use.  The 2x
non-APO with some lenses will cause noticeable vignetting and it will not
preserve the APO image quality of your 180.  I'd test the combination before
committing to it.

Another idea: the 400mm f/6.8 costs less than the 2x APO and will probably
out-perform the 180 + 2x non-APO except in the corners.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from tarek.charara at pix-that-stimulate.com (Tarek Charara) ([Leica] Extenders)