Subject: [Leica] Extenders & WAR! :-(
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Jan 22 09:20:31 2008

Tarek Charara said:

> Now, that sounds like fun! What's with the pistol grip? Is that an

extra accessory? I can only see the button to release the focusing

mechanism and the tripod mount...

I can only imagine taking a big lens like this with a pistol grip to the
middle east... I'd be dead meat in no time! :^)<<<

Tarek,

I did just that during the Middle East 6 day war in 1967 only it was the
Novaflex 240mm lens and grip with spring loaded rapid focusing which is all
built together. Very ominous looking in a war theatre. :-(

Last day of the war I was in a small village outside Jerusalem when three
men in Arab dress came around a building and the light on them was so
beautiful, without a thought I whipped up the "machine pistol looking lens
and camera" to take a picture. All three instantly put their arms in the air
and surrendered. :-) I was so surprised by the action I put the camera down
without even taking a picture. One of the great missed photo moments of my
life. :-( It happens sometimes of surprise good, bad or ugly!

However all wasn't lost as it was a far more important moment in my life
than a missed photograph. Think about this. It was 3 to 1 and if they had
weapons I wouldn't be typing this. :-(

Today in the Middle East, Iraq or Afghanistan one would be a total idiot to
take any kind of lens and pistol grip mistakenly seen as a weapon! You
wouldn't be typing unless you were tapping on the lid of your coffin! :-(

ted

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Extenders & WAR! :-()
Reply from tarek.charara at pix-that-stimulate.com (Tarek Charara) ([Leica] Extenders & WAR! :-()