Subject: [Leica] Extenders & WAR! :-(
From: tarek.charara at pix-that-stimulate.com (Tarek Charara)
Date: Fri Jan 25 15:29:01 2008

Le 22 janv. 08 ? 18:19, Ted Grant a ?crit :

> Last day of the war I was in a small village outside Jerusalem when
> three
> men in Arab dress came around a building and the light on them was so
> beautiful, without a thought I whipped up the "machine pistol
> looking lens
> and camera" to take a picture. All three instantly put their arms in
> the air
> and surrendered. :-) I was so surprised by the action I put the
> camera down
> without even taking a picture. One of the great missed photo moments
> of my
> life. :-( It happens sometimes of surprise good, bad or ugly!

Now THAT is funny! I only had an unfortunate encounter with an
illiterate syrian soldier in Beirut back in 78 (I was 17 and eager to
be a reporter)... The man thought I was an Israeli spy because of my
german Passport, lebanese press card and the photo equipment... I
spent the longest hours of my life legs spread, hands on my head in a
dark corner of a building on the green line and a kalashnikov in my
back. :-)

> However all wasn't lost as it was a far more important moment in my
> life
> than a missed photograph. Think about this. It was 3 to 1 and if
> they had
> weapons I wouldn't be typing this. :-(
>
> Today in the Middle East, Iraq or Afghanistan one would be a total
> idiot to
> take any kind of lens and pistol grip mistakenly seen as a weapon! You
> wouldn't be typing unless you were tapping on the lid of your
> coffin! :-(

Ugh, today you even get stones thrown at you when they see you with a
small Leica around your neck. I can't think of the effects of a
machine-gun-camera...