Subject: Pixel Specs [was Re: [Leica] one of the most important news for me]
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Thu Jan 31 11:59:14 2008

Hmmm...  Somewhere along the line "pixel" has replaced "photosites" in
sensor specs.

Kodak and Sigma (and probably all the other sensor manufacturers) do
this now.   The Sigma spec, however, leaving off the X3 claim they
make to compare their sensor to others, is closer to the truth when
you want to know the potential resolution of the sensor.  The number
of resolution elements in the Sigma sensor is 2460 x 1768 or 4.6
million elements.

Kodak doesn't make a 14MP sensor, but their 10 megapixel KAF-10010 has
3876 x 2584 active pixels or, more accurately, photosites.  The number
of resolution elements in this sensor is about half that,* or 1938 x
1292.  Scaling this up to a 14 megapixel array, makes it 2713 x 1292,
or 4.9 resolution elements.

So the side-by-side (planar) photosite sensors and stacked-photosite
sensors have about the same number of resolution elements.  Looks like
Sigma has a point.

Pixel used to mean resolution element, now it means photosites.   I
wish people would stop changing the meaning of words without telling
me.  :-)

*It's really much more complicated that this, but since half the
photosites in the Bayer array are filtered for green light they should
provide the great majority of the signal that defines resolution.

Regards,

Dick