Subject: [Leica] observation on the LUG Photo Contest
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Feb 3 10:58:37 2008

Hi Brian,

Having gone through this judging/word thing more times than I can remember
both with amateur clubs and professional organizations. The photograph must
be judged on "what you see first." If there's a question, "What is this?"
and an explanation is required it becomes a judges call even if one judge
asks. Then the photographer is asked discreetly what is? Then judges have a
discussion in whether they feel the picture and words make or break the
picture. And how well the moment was captured, then decision made.

In that way the anonymity is retained because only the photographer knows
his photo is in question without alerting everyone.

My gut feeling is I'd have gone with the judges even if I knew this was snow
in Iraq.

I'd like to say, Mads is a damn fine photographer as we've seen in his work.
However I don't think this is one of his all time super fantastic
photographs and I'd put money on it that given second thoughts he'd probably
agree.

ted