Subject: [Leica] My new car, a Morgan OT
From: ken at iisaka.org (Ken Iisaka)
Date: Sun Feb 3 21:31:34 2008

So far, I've gone through 2 Miatas (1990 and 1995) and a Porsche (1987 911
Carrera) all of which were wonderful cars, but presently, my current car of
love is the Honda/Acura NSX.  It isn't lithe like the Miata or Lotuses
(Loti?) but similar weight as the Porsche I had.  At under 3000 lb with an
empty tank, it would be considered very light by today's standard, and
without too much gadgetry that really distracts me from driving.  The
suspension is supple enough for daily driving, while quite poised even on
the pot-holed twisties around the Bay Area.  The engine doesn't have
ridiculous amount of power by today's standard (270bhp) to overpower the
relatively svelte set of tires (215mm front, 245mm rear) either.

I don't know about the latest incarnation, but Miatas were brilliant: it was
exquisitely balanced, and taught me all the things about vehicle dynamics.
With its skinny 185mm tires, it was easy to do all sorts of asphalt ballet.
The Porsche was the most visceral thing I've ever driven for more than a few
minutes, giving me the sensation that hot 20W50 ran through my veins.

Sure, a new familiy 4-door sedan will blow the doors off the NSX, but it's
fast enough, both in straight line and in curves, and stops fast enough.  It
never was a best-performer in any category, but the balance of its
attributes was/is exquisite.  The electronic interventions are minimal, just
enough to keep me from the worst.

Still, there is a part of me itching to get a Lotus one of these days
though.  Before then, I'd have to build a garage at my house which wouldn't
be easy on the hillside on which we live.  Which Lotus?  The Seven of
course.

A friend who owned a series of Lotus Europas, and V-12 Ferraris said that I
made a very wise decision buying the Honda.  After all, it's a Honda, yet
performs better than its contemporaries like the 348, Esprit, and the 964
Carrera 2.

Message from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] My new car, a Morgan)
Message from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] My new car, a Morgan OT)
Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] My new car, a Morgan OT)