Subject: [Leica] Xtol
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Feb 6 18:22:38 2008

Xtol is basically the addition of ascorbic acid to a PQ developer.
That's a Phenidone Hydroquinone developer.
Lots of people have gotten spectacular Xtol like results or better by just
adding a tab of ascorbic acid of some form to a standard PQ developer from a
formula or out of a can.
Right before they use it they drop the tab in. There's no chance of
"failure" its in effect freshly mixed.
So you get Xtol without the drama.
"will my pix from Africa come out clear?"
"will that Martian dude waving at me from the flying saucer come out clear?"

But many have had better results from adding it to an MQ developer instead.
That's Metol Hydroquinone .
That's Kodak speaking.
D76, D72, D52 D you name it.
Texas tea, black gold.
PQ is usually Ilford.
ID-62 ID you name it.

This is what I'd do:
Add a tab of ascorbic acid of some convenient form (don't buy it from a
bunch of hippies on a bus) to a solid famous developer you've learn to use
successfully otherwise.
Like D76 1:1 or 1:2.
It gives it an Xtol boost like you'd never believe.
I've heard nothing but successful results from it.
You get a PQA or MQA formula.
I think of them as "triple additive" though I've not heard that term
mentioned. To me its a major milestone in developer development.
An MM in DD.

I strongly believe a MQA formula to be supperior to Xtol, a PQA.
Metol builds bodies twelve ways. Phenidone I have issues with.

Too many syllables is one.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Xtol)