Subject: [Leica] Free: unopened packets of Xtol
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu Feb 7 22:08:17 2008

Hi Mark,

I wasn't suggesting you'd said to add ascorbate to Rodinal, but Rodinal is
not alone in having a high pH.  Many MQ and PQ formulae have a high
(alkaline) enough pH to cause infectious development - D76 is among the
exceptions.  Tests I've conducted and am still conducting indicate that a
key to Xtol's success lies as much in its moderate (Kodak says 'weakly
alkaline') pH as the use of ascorbate.  In this sense the thing that is
great about ascorbate is that it can function as a developing agent and
preservative at this moderate pH, where other agents cannot function.

I am trying to encourage rigor in testing - adding ascorbic acid to
pre-mixed D76 did nothing in my tests except make the development times
somewhat longer to achieve the same CI; this can help prevent
over-development, a problem that seems to manifest often and at the
encouragement of film manufacturers, but I measured no statistically
detectable change in grain size or acutance when adding ascorbate to
existing MQ or PQ developers.  Mixing up your own E76 is different; that
formula has a more appropriate pH than a ready-made formula with something
acidic added.  The other problem is that the source and type of ascorbate
will affect your results.  Adding ascorbate salt and ascorbic acid are not
the same thing and you may not always know what you are adding.

Adding ascorbic acid to Rodinal does help with grain size, but again, I am
not sure this has anything to do with the ascorbate as much as it has to do
with the pH change and that you need to buffer this pH change with borax to
prevent infectious development.

I would encourage everyone who likes to experiment with developers to do
three things: experiment wildly, record carefully and report cautiously from
their own work.

Marty

Gallery:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/main.php?g2_itemId=7617

Most people can only judge of things by the experiences of ordinary life,
but phenomena outside the scope of this are really quite numerous.
        Shen Kuo - 'Dream Pool Essays'

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?