Subject: [Leica] Free: unopened packets of Xtol
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Wed Feb 6 19:41:07 2008

Brian:
Pictures will follow, soon.  Badness is purged.

Mark:
Simply adding ascorbate to an MQ or PQ developer is no guarantee of success.
 Firstly, if you use a 'tab' of vitamin C, the calcium (if they are calcium
ascorbate) or the pH change (if it is ascorbic acid) may cause problems with
development.  You really should go to a health food store and buy pure
ascorbate or ascorbic acid powder.

You can also get infectious development if you add ascorbate to high pH
developers like Rodinal.  This can be ameliorated by adding 1g/L borax to
the developer.

I agree that ascorbate developers are great, but I am also keen to make sure
that everyone understands that they are not a cure-all and especially that
they may require more attentive handling than what you're used to.

Gallery:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/main.php?g2_itemId=7617

Most people can only judge of things by the experiences of ordinary life,
but phenomena outside the scope of this are really quite numerous.
        Shen Kuo - 'Dream Pool Essays'

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Free: unopened packets of Xtol)