Subject: [Leica] IMG "kids..." !
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Mon Feb 11 14:49:46 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Ted Grant wrote:
> Steve Barbour showed:
> Subject: [Leica] IMG "kids..."
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/hospital+kids/kaliavalon.jpg.html
>
> Interesting attempt. I think I know what you're trying to do, tying
> child
> and Frankie Avalon together. However, the child being so far out of
> focus
> actually becomes a distraction as though you made a photo taking
> mistake.
>
> Sorry old buddy but that's sort of what it feels like. And I don't
> know how
> to correct it as we see it.
>
> Maybe a smaller aperture to allow for a bit more depth of filed
> sharpness to
> the patient or what.
>
> But of all your classics I don't feel it works and while doing a
> serious
> cull of images I bet this would get cut!
>
> Quite honestly I'm interested in seeing what others say, as I can be
> totally
> of the wall wrong.
>
> And you for secondary thoughts on the photo?

thanks very much Ted for your frank appraisal... I see I have some
explaining to do...  :-)
as I anticipated negatives...and maybe different opinions...
no excuses at all ...but I will try to explain...

I almost did not post this image, but I saw it differently... I wanted
to discuss it...

this beautiful girl was a very sick leukemic child...a very sad
story.  I could have focussed on her but that would have been way too
easy, not telling the same story, not what I call poetic, and cruel as
well...

I wanted enough of her to be "in the image" including the fact that
she had lost her hair, so that her story would be suggested, with our
focus, like her focus, on very normal kid stuff...

I did see this image as likely controversial, yet subtle and poetic
all at the same time.

some find it very moving... me included, so I wanted to try it.

always willing to take a chance Ted,

Steve