Subject: [Leica] M8 Shutter Fault, Help!
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sat Feb 23 15:43:43 2008

Tina, maybe you have already decided. I can imagine your frustration at the
fault developing.
I am apparently a lone voice here, but...
As it is under warranty I would NOT attempt to fix it myself. Yes you might
get lucky, but I ask you to consider the situation where
the Leica technician looks at your faulty shutter and can see that there has
been mechanical contact. However unfair people may
consider that, they could refuse a warranty claim in this case.
For example LFI reports M8's arriving for repair where the shutter closed
during sensor cleaning. This is attributed to people using
'B' instead of the menu 'sensor clean' selection. Yes I understand that
there is already mechanical damage to your shutter and you
may not make it worse..
Best of luck getting it resolved. I would be shooting with whatever else you
packed until you get home.
Cheers
Geoff