Subject: [Leica] Spain on film
From: mark.teampope at ntlworld.com (Mark Pope)
Date: Sun Feb 24 13:30:45 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 21:49 +0100, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> From time to time I like to shoot a roll of MF film in my Bronica
> rangefinder.
>
> I have finally been able to scan and process four rolls of MF film I
> shot during and after the Christmas holidays here in Spain, mostly
> from the Alicante area but also some from Barcelona. The delay was
> due to the fact the I had the negatives down here but my scanner was
> still in the Netherlands until a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, now it
> is here with me, and these are the results:
>
> http://www.greatpix.eu/gallery/4398108_5cbYy
>
> All images with the Bronica RF, and on the films indicated (Pan F+,
> Delta 3200, Fomapan 400 and Fuji Acros).
>
> As always, comments and critique are very welcome. I am still trying
> to figure out if and how I shoot differently when shooting film
> (compared to digital which I how I do 98% of my work). I think that
> because of the inherent inferiority of film as far as sharpness is
> concerned, I tend to look at other attributes such as tonality. You
> be the judge.
>
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman
> nathan@nathanfoto.com
> General photography:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com
> http://www.greatpix.eu
> http://www.frozenlight.eu
> Blog: http://www.fotocycle.dk/blog

Hi Nathan,

I think this is a super set of pictures.  I'm not sure I agree with you
about the inferiority of film.  They are sharp and have lovely tonality.
Film's different not inferior IMHO.  If anything, seeing your shots has
left me hankering to get back in my darkroom, which has been somewhat
neglected since about June last year.  I might just get my M6TTL,
Yashica 124G or Shen-Hao (or even all of them!) out for a PAW sometime
soon!

For me, the main difference between 1s and 0s and film is that film is
very much 'poke and hope' as there's no chance to chimp!

FWIW, a friend of mime recently acquired a Canon EOS 1 DS MKIII.  He
loves it, but says it can't compete with large format film, although
that said, one of the things he misses is the ability to get front-to
back sharpness with lens tilt and swing.
--
Mark Pope
Swindon, Wilts UK

Homepage: