Subject: [Leica] Interesting news
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Feb 24 16:14:56 2008

And Erwin has apparently, at least some insight into Mr Lee's approach too,
having conversed with him several times. Personally I am
really surprised at the depth of feeling that is emerging from on dealers on
this. I'm not a dealer of course, just a customer. It
may be that the upgrade program was what incensed those dealers?? Or supply
issues?
I thought that a number of the issues that have emerged regarding the M8
were ones that Mr Lee had inherited, for example signing
those 4000 letters of apology to early M8 owners. I would have thought he
was in no way responsible for the original design
imperfections that led to those. Similarly I thought that overseeing the
release of the Summarit range was a positive step. Does
anyone remember that Herr Kornelius Mueller, formerly of Zeiss, has joined
the Leica team during Mr Lee's stewardship?  I also
thought that the widely rumoured R10 might be a huge leap forward and Mr Lee
has publicly championed the R line since joining.
Production shortages, servicing delays etc are not unique to the most recent
Leica period. For that matter not unique to Leica
either. However, these days any such problems are vastly and rapidly
publicised by the nature of the web. Fair to say magnified too,
in my view. I don't see any issue with the new website either, even though
it seems to have generated a lot of negative response.
All the information is still there. There is a veneer of glossy promotion,
why not? I voted with my wallet and got the M8, new from
an authorised leading dealer (my sixth M body but first new).
I think that the next few months are going to be 'interesting times' leading
up to Photokina.

Cheers
Geoff