Subject: [Leica] Square format
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Tue Feb 26 15:25:08 2008

I don't know, or have forgotten, the origins of our current "standard"
formats for photos. It seems that 6X6 cm is the only "common" square
standard.

Did this perhaps come from the difficulty of rotating cameras to go
from horizontal to vertical?

While it might waste silver, the square could easily let you punch out
the 2:3 ratio (4X6 or 6X4) as a vertical or horizontal without having
to try to tip your TLR over on its side. The old folders were much
more convenient vertical than horizontal, also.

After all, a square composition will end up wasting silver on the
print. I don;t remember ever seeing square format printing paper. It
certainly was not common.

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/

Replies: Reply from leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Square format)