Subject: [Leica] Erwin telling it like it may be
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Feb 28 06:23:45 2008

Chris has some good points.

As long as the camera is not broken, what you bought 5 years ago will do as
good a job as when it was new.  Nothing changed.  ( example: Leica M6... it
still takes pictures.)

What does change is the owners needs and wants.  You want more pixels.  You
need more pixels.  The market wants/needs/  more pixels or just plain
pixels.

This last is what really makes your Leica M6 worth less in time.  You want
AE.  You want Pixels.  You want more pixels.  Wants.

I bought a used Nikon D1 camera for $250.  New, it cost about $5,000.  New
was about 8 years ago.  Does it still take 2.5MP pictures?  Yes.  Does it
still take Nikon lenses?  Yes.  Why did it go down in value?  Marketing
needs and wants.  My D1 is considered obsolete.  So what?  It does what I
want and precisely what it was originally made to do..  It did not change,
the market changed.

An M8, if it is not broken, will always do what you bought it for.  Nothing
more, nothing less.

So what if it is worth $250 in 8 years.......

???????

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

The question for we Leica users is
where would we put our money on the price-durability trade-off curve?
To put it another way how much money are we willing to right off every
year? If you bought a M8 what did you expect it to be worth in 5
years?

Chris B

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Erwin telling it like it may be)
Message from crbirchenhall at googlemail.com (Christopher Birchenhall) ([Leica] Erwin telling it like it may be)