Subject: [Leica] Erwin telling it like it may be
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Thu Feb 28 16:13:04 2008

Who cares why. it's the results that matter. May be it's the magic fairy
dust.

Same side of the coin, there are reasons why people love the Oly E1,
E3 etc. for the colors and clarity, despite the "small" sensors. It's
all about the front end (the lens), and the back end (film day:
film/developer/enlarging, digital day: sensor/firmware). All thing
being equal, bigger is better but things are never equal, as clearly
shown in DMR/R8 users vs. 5D users with the same lens.

At 03:54 PM 2/28/2008, Lottermoser George wrote:
>I'm not an engineer and know very little about these matters from a
>technical pov.
>Yet something else is going on; beyond acreage.
>My 5D has more acreage than the DMR or M8;
>yet cannot reproduce the same micro detail that CCD chips can produce.
>Putting the same lens on the 5D as the DMR produces different results
>in terms of dynamic range, micro detail, etc.
>
>I believe that acreage is a factor but not the only factor.
>we also have to consider aa filters, c-mos or ccd, and even the
>firmware being used.

// richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
please use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Erwin telling it like it may be)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Erwin telling it like it may be)