Subject: [Leica] Travel question
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu Feb 28 17:53:13 2008

The security people at the Frankfurt airport are very calm and meticulous
and
slow. This means that there are long lines and long waits. They've never
been
rude to me, but they've never been fast. Leave at least an hour more time to
get through security than you are expecting now.

You should wait for European LUGgers to give the definitive answer, but I've
found in my trips to Europe in the last 5-10 years that low-cost air travel
is way better than trains; it's faster and cheaper. Just pay very careful
attention to your luggage weights.

Every country has its own discount airlines. Their fee structures vary
widely. Some will charge you 5 Euros for an airplane ticket but make their
profit by charging you by the kilogram for your baggage.

I've had very good luck with Ryanair, Air Berlin, Easyjet, and Condor for
getting around cheaply inside Europe. There are about 20 more such carriers.
I'm sure there is a website out there that lists and rates them for you.

Just like trains, you have to handle your own luggage and carry it from one
flight to another if you make a connection.

I love trains, but they are expensive and slow.