Subject: [Leica] Choices for ringflash photography
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat Mar 1 07:35:13 2008

A ringflash has traditionally had a flashtube that completely goes around
the periphery of the lens.  It is almost 360 degrees of light.  This causes
"no" shadows.  Most similar comparison I can think of is very diffused
light.  Like on a really dull day.

They were/are made by Nikon, Hasselblad, Novoflex, and I am sure others.  In
addition, big mother ring flashes were made by the strobe folks  ( Balcar?
Bowens?  That kind of name)  that had power, and were used for product
photography and some portraiture and fashion work.  These run on those power
packs and some were from the 510 battery pack.

There are a couple of reincarnations that use multiple flashes sitting
around the Lens.....  Sigma is one.  Phoienix and Vivitar are others.  Sigma
uses 4 flashes.  The Nikon uses 2 flashes.

They are not that common, but are not expensive used.  Check your local
Google for info and Ebay for used.

I have the Nikon flash..... it is an earlier model for film cameras.  There
is a later incarnation for the D series  ( SB29).

The most elegant solution ( IMO) is the Dental lens + flash models made by
Nikon, I think Pentax and Minolta.    All in 1 outfits, special purposed for
Dental and Medical work.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net