Subject: [Leica] CAUGHT IN... Williamsburg
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Mar 7 13:33:36 2008

> Ira - I dug out my copy of "The Power Broker" last night and found the
> comment you mentioned - it was only one line but it does make clear
> Moses, not the City got in the way of O'Malley's expansion plans.
> OTH, I suspect O'Malley was as stubborn as Moses, so he's still my
> designated fall guy.  :-)
>
> I don't think you can get a proper bagel more than a few miles out
> side the city limits, but I've had some that come pretty close.   Any
> bagel that doesn't turn into concrete by the next morning isn't worth
> eating!
>

> Regards,
>
> Dick

Plenty of bad bagels right here in new York though.
Cake bagels.
Bagels need to be boiled before they are baked.

The best bagels in my neighborhood are made by a nice Japanese couple right
up the street on Broadway around 108th. Absolute Bagels
I get the PUMPERNICKEL or the EVERYTHING.

Generally I think...why not get EVERYTHING?
And why didn't they think of that SOONER?

Tourists come for the H&H Bagels but I hear they are not true, dipped in the
water, water bagels. And have been excommunicated accordingly.
I do ok at Nusbaum & Wu Bakery @ Bway/113

And I think Tal Bagels are held in highest regard by the ruling Bagel
Intelligentsia.
But I'm still new in town so I don't know.

In Chicago in the 60's I had to drive 35 minutes to get to Skokie for bagels
and lox and Kippers.
But then bagels caught on with everybody.

I'm sure the Neo Skin heads in survivalist compounds around Coeur D'Alene,
Idaho wearing Levi's jeans have then for breakfast and don't think twice.

No Lox.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor) ([Leica] CAUGHT IN... Williamsburg)