Subject: [Leica] OT best light monopod ?
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat Mar 8 08:17:04 2008

These are not heavy things:  Carbon vs Steel vs Al makes little difference.
The head makes a difference in weight , but little in maneuverability.  You
can do without.  Try it before you buy one.

I have and use an old steel Gitzo series 200. And even older no name AL
cheapie ( that has 3 feet hidden in its base for tripod faking), and an
ancient Manchiotto ( SP?) ( Before Leica Bought the rights to the Tiltall
name) that is by far the best built.  They all work as well as the other,
with some differences in the way and ease the leg locks work..

Note:  Jerry Lehrer had advertised recently a Tiltall Monopod for $20.......
a BARGAIN!!!!

Now the big question...... do you want a recommendation for a Monopod or do
you want something to do the job of steadying your camera when you need
steadying; does not get in the way when you walk, and weighs relatively
nothing?

A Definition of a monopod:  Something that you use to steady a camera that
does not have 3 legs..

How about a piece of string?  Or the elegant version, a piece of window
weights' chain?

DIY Directions:  Get thee a piece of string about 6 feet long.  Get thee a
1/4 x 20 eye bolt around an inch long.  Get thee 2 nuts ( no laughter,
please...)   Tie string one end of string to eye, use nuts to position
leftover threaded part so that about 3/8- 1/2 inch is left uncovered.

Use:  Screw into bottom of camera, step on string, pull UP on camera.
Instant monopod.  ( You use the chain to give the whole thing some weight so
the string falls to the ground for easy stepping upon.)

I carry this setup everywhere I go.  It is always in my camera bag.  I use
it in museums where there is a no tripod policy, I use it for lowish shutter
speeds when I need to get things right.  And no airline will ever mangle it.

Note:  Ball head not required.  String can be selected dependent on where
you go... Black Silk for those formal invitations, brown twine for desert
hikes, nylon twine for longevity or white tie affairs.  Silver chain for
every day use, black chain for formal occasions, and gold chain when you
need to shoot rappers.

My suggestion:  Try it first, then go buy one if you think you need AND WILL
USE a real monopod.   Carrying around a monopod connected to a camera is not
fun.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] OT best light monopod ?)