Subject: [Leica] Not Buying M8
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun Mar 9 00:25:28 2008

I am with Gene on this. My primary computer for photo work now is a
Powerbook G4 from 2006 (I bought it second-hand in early 2007). My
desktop machine is a 5-year old Windows computer, whose only upgrade
in those 5 years has been adding memory and a second hard disk. Both
run the newest versions of Lightroom and Photoshop CS2 (I have not
bothered upgrading to CS3 since I do not use Photoshop much these days).

I do want to get a Mac desktop as well, simply because I have fallen
in love with OSX but I cannot find an excuse to replace the current
one--everything runs fine on it.

This is a bit analogous to the argument people sometimes make about
the cameras themselves. I mostly shoot with the Olympus E3 now, but
my other DSLR is a Canon 1DII, introduced in 2004 and bought second-
hand in 2005. There is nothing wrong with the images it gives me, and
the fact that there are new models that have been introduced since
does not mean that my pictures suddenly are worse. I don't buy at all
the idea that a digital camera is for 1 or 2 years. That may have
been the case in the early days but things are much more stable now.

Of course, nothing will match the 50+ years of usability of the M3,
but I do not see why any DSLR bought today would not have at least
5-6 years of useful life in it. Or an M8 for that matter.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
nathan@nathanfoto.com
General photography: