Subject: [Leica] Not buying a Hummer
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Mar 11 04:59:26 2008

Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> wrote:

> I live about a mile from Steve Jobs and drive right past his house
> every day on my way to work. For several years now he's been driving
> a silver Mercedes CL55 AMG. Not long ago he bought a Prius, and the
> AMG sits in his driveway during the day.

For some people it's an image thing.  Apple's been stung recently for its
poor environmental performance and Jobs driving a Prius might just be a
public relations move.

BTW what's usually missing from the green car equation is the embedded
energy cost, typically about 50% of the energy consumed by a vehicle over
its useful "lifetime" from ore to rust.  That means that only half more or
less of the energy a vehicle uses is accounted for at the fuel pump.  The
other half is consumed in making and recycling the car.  A vehicle with lots
of aluminum and plastics will do better at the pump, and worse during
manufacture.  And then there's the energy and disposal cost of batteries....
 YMMV.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com