Subject: [Leica] Not Buying M8
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Wed Mar 12 08:14:32 2008

The shutter doesn't conclude the vision Sonny.  Concept of vision is
brought into the processing in order to reproduce the reality that was
experienced.  If the image is altered by introducing painterly aspects then
there is a  conceptual commingling where the artist is attempting to purge
the reality from the image because they can't deal with it or
something.  Totally different from dodging and burning and contrast
manipulation.  What is the artist bringing attention to, the reality of the
subject or his/her handwork?  The classic example is Adams use of value
control both in the camera and in the darkroom.  His intention was to get
far away from the painterly concepts.  If he were shooting digital (which I
believe he would be) his computer manipulations would parellel his darkroom
manipulations.

At 01:43 AM 3/12/2008, you wrote:
>On 3/12/08, amr3@uwm.edu <amr3@uwm.edu> wrote:
> >

> >   I like the challenge of trying to get a perfect image from an
> > imperfect world.  With digital, any picture can be made perfect, so why
> > even
> > take pictures?
> >
> > I don't know about you, but before digital, I endeavoured to make my
>picture look like I saw the scene when I snapped the shutter.   I used
>filters,  yeah, even in the darkroom, to make the contrast what I wanted.
>Sometimes I dodged, sometimes I burned. I even spotted. I even cropped.  I'm
>so ashamed.
>--
>Regards,
>
>Sonny