Subject: [Leica] San Diego Air Races
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Mar 14 09:57:23 2008

Hi Gary,

Neat stuff! And I bet as most photogs. covering an event like this, you
thought the same thing. "Man if one of them prangs a building I hope it
happens right in front of me!"

Now before anyone goes ballistic about wanting some guy to die for the sake
of a picture, relax!! And don't get stupid with dumb ass remarks!

Obviously as a news photographer you have to always think ahead and be
prepared, no matter the disaster! Simply because at events of this nature
crash and burns happen whether you like it or not!

So you prepare yourself for the potential unfortunate accident just in case
something happens!

Obviously you never want anything to happen! But in the event it does, I
damn well want to be exactly where it does! Because it's my job to
photograph it, not watch it happen and then go, "oh WOW, click as it's all
over!"

The prepared shooters who think ahead are usually the ones who come home
with the picture! But these days many picture moments during an action event
are missed due to shooters with their head and eyes down chimping!

Now that's an event I'd like to fly in. :-) That is, if I were 40 or more
years younger with perfect vision and wing mounted cameras for some cool
pictures! :-)

Ted.