Subject: [Leica] Somewhat OT Canon lens question
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Thu Mar 20 20:10:22 2008

> but it got me to thinking.  I wonder if there is any undue stress on
> the
> lens mount by carrying the camera on a strap without lens support?

I would tend to doubt it.  The longer 2.8's all have strap lugs, so
the absence of lugs on the 70-200 makes me think it's a considered
decision not to put them there.  My 300/4 doesn't have them either.

It seems likely that Canon decided it wasn't a problem.  Maybe they
were even right... I've seen lots of newspaper guys carrying with
body straps and I haven't heard anything on the NPPA list about
problems.

On a related note, I have one of the Kevlar-cored Upstraps sitting in
my cabinet, and  I'm not going to be using it if anyone wants to buy
another one.  I tried it and just didn't care for it, so I'm back to
the Domke's and happy again.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com