Subject: [Leica] Red-brick Gothic
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue Mar 25 02:05:39 2008

Alastair,
many thanks for the in-depth comments.

Alastair Firkin wrote:
> never heard of anyone wearing out a Rollei ;-)
It didn't wear out - after being heavily jostled on the street (I didn't
trip, I was pushed) my 2000F decided it wanted to put vertical white
stripes across all frames after enjoying close contact with concrete
paving. Rollei service couldn't find out why, but I guess something was
very much out of kilter between the body and the magazine.
> You make me want to pull out my beautiful 3003 again: wonderful lenes
> including a fish eye.
Do!! it makes a real change.
> Oh for a digital back !!!! Still, I do hope to get back to it for b/w.
Yes indeed!!
> To the images:
>
> 1. woman hidden by the tree/grate would have been better with her in the
> image or perhaps gone altogether

Shot can hopefully be repeated in better weather - L?neburg is worth
many visits and is only an hour away on the train.
> 2. Sky is a disaster of course, but the street scene is fine

Thanks, the weather God is hopefully in a better mood next time.
> 3. The people are nicely separated in this one and certainly add to the
> image

Thanks
> 4. ditto, and love the wonky buildings in the b/g: waist level for this
> one?

Yes, it does give a different perspective I've only ever seen before
from our son's pictures taken when he was about 9 years old.
> 5. looks like he's a Rollei fan

Do all Rollei fans have such a mean look?
> 6. a bit too far from the action

Noted: take more lenses next time.
> 7. Colour looks good here despite the weather. Wonderful building

'tis indeed!
> 8. too much foreground: this is one where using the wide, you can correct
> distortion by using only the upper 50% of the image: Rollei half frame

Take another note: remember note 6 or find a PC lens
> 9. wow, sudden change of feeling: love the composition and the water looks
> cold: at last, something in the sky ;-)

Don't know if the water was cold but the weather was sub-zero and very
windy, did some other shots from the same point with the Zeiss 1.4/85,
the lens has amazing quality but the shots themselves are just
candidates for the waste bin.
Thanks again, and best from Hannover
Douglas