Subject: [Leica] Lens kit for europe
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed Mar 26 06:13:24 2008

Hi Richard. I originally bought the Olympus for long lens (because
they are relatively small and light) and macro use, I have the M8 for
everything else. The most disappointing is the 150mm f2 which the
camera focuses fine at portrait distances but inconsistently nearer
infinity. If I use the 2x converter to get a 35mm 600mm f4 equivalent
field of view from a relatively small light package the manual focus
is fine but autofocus inconsistent, far less than half the shots in
focus using continuous AF. I have all the latest firmware updates. The
50mm macro is fine most of the time and the slower lenses too.
I have just got the 50-200 zoom which seems better in terms of
consistency but I am still better using manual focus than the camera
is on autofocus, this should not be the case with the small viewfinder
of the E3. My old Canon EOS 5D with even older 100 to 400 zoom is much
more consistent but also much heavier than the Oly combination.
I don't own the 12-60 (I have the Panasonic lens from my DMC-L1) and
will not own the 35-100 as I don't use this focal length range.
I am toying with the idea of returning the E3 and 150 for checking. If
not my attempt to get a small relatively light outfit for wildlife
will be a failure.
Frank