Subject: [Leica] dignity in photographing people
From: dbirkey at hcjb.org (Duane Birkey)
Date: Thu Apr 3 14:05:40 2008

My experience is that dignity is given to the subject by how you
interact or treat the people you are photographing....

I make a lot of effort to show people the photos that I take of them...
digital is amazing in that regard.  When I can, I try to talk to people,
and at least say please or thank you in what ever the local language
is...

I also smile a lot...  and laugh a lot... and

Before very long.... people are asking me to take their photos...

If you are taking photos out the window of a car, or from the edge of
the road because you are afraid of getting dirty... then you are, in a
sense, at risk of taking away people's dignity because they may perceive
that as you not being willing to approach their level.

Giving people time gives them dignity and my experience is that most
people are honored I care enough about them to want to photograph them
or some aspect of their life.  But some people don't want to be
photographed at all.... no matter how much time you invest....

Duane (Dignity is given by how you treat people) Birkey

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] dignity in photographing people)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] dignity in photographing people)