Subject: [Leica] Collector and User and Retirement
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Apr 7 21:12:48 2008

The remarks of Mark Rabiner and Vick Ko are
appreciated and interesting.  This exchange goes
back to discussions which so ignited the LUG
fifteen years ago, when we only had 2,958,435
members, nowhere like our current membership of,
what is it now?  Nine Billion folks?  <he
grins>  (and will the Aliens in our midst stick
up their right flippers?  Er, no, don't do that
as the agents for the Reichsministerium f?r Heimhats Sicherheit

I am a user but a user in a specific meaning:  I
get interested in a camera accessory or camera
system and buy enough gear to get to know it and
then sell it off or keep it, as the case may
be.  For instance, at one point I owned a LOT of
Zeiss Ikon Ikaex gear and, once I was satisfied
that I knew the system, I dumped it and invested
the money earned on the gas to go home together
with enough to buy a set of Proxars for my Rolleiflex 2.8GX.

I am going through boxes of photographs right now
and I can recall almost every time which camera I
used to take the shots and in most cases the
lenses.  I am surprised by just how many cameras
and lenses I have owned and I am baffled by those
which I have chosen to keep.  This is not a collection:  I only own users!

I now have a Leica M-6 Wetzlar and an M-3 DS and
a IIIg and a IIIf RD/ST and a IIIc, my
darling.  And a Rolleiflex 2.8GX and a 2.8F and
....  all of it ending up with my two Kilfitt
lenses, a 4/300 and one of those fascinating
4/50-200 zooms.  Kilfitt is yet another system in
which I once invested heavily.  As was Retina RF
gear, though I kept most of that.  And Werra:  I
surgically chose a III after I was gifted a 35mm
lens for this, and this is a great camera.

I am now retired.  I have been so for two
years.  I am considering selling off some of the
collectibles but, then, I do not want to sell off
anything I might later want to use to take
pictures.  Of course, I do not now have a
darkroom and shal not have one for some
years.  What to do?  I do not know.  Me?  I am
awaiting the Grand Revelation from Mark!  And
even then, I might ignore it.  I now have two
grand-kids.  Maybe they ought to sell my stuff, after my son dies.

Yes, on three different occasions, I have lucked
into purchases for $5 which I was rapidly able to
sell for $2,000.  But those are not common.  If I
come across a KE-7 for $5 at the next yardsale I visit, I shal snap it up.

You guys should join the IDCC where these
discussions are the norm, or, at the leasst, were
prior to my leaving that esteemed List.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!