Subject: [Leica] Selling gear
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Apr 9 11:34:46 2008

At 11:40 AM 4/9/2008, you wrote:

>Hi Tina
>At the Brentwood Camera Club meeting last week, a young photog asked
>Harry Benson if he had any advice for the upcoming photojournalists.
>Mr. Benson replied with something like "maybe get a guitar". He
>followed up with a serious reply to start small [local newspaper]
>and work your way up if possible.
>Mr. Benson was a lot of fun, and some great work was shown.
>GaryP

Gary -

As someone pointed out on another forum the other day, there are no
photography jobs with small local newspapers.  All newspapers have
been bought up by conglomerates and they all want their photos for
free from "citizen journalists".  The Charlotte Observer looks like a
free neighborhood weekly flyer with snapshots by the neighbors, but
it's not free.  It is absolutely awful.  The only newspaper
photography jobs now are for videographers who can put clips up on
websites and also work for the "sister" television stations.  I have
absolutely no interest in video.
I'm speaking to a high school in a couple of weeks and I think I will
also advise them to "get a guitar!"

Wish I could have been there!

Tina

Tina Manley