Subject: [Leica] WAS: In defence of the newspapers NOW: Tiny tunnel light.
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri Apr 11 06:56:34 2008

On Apr 10, 2008, at 9:32 PM, Ted Grant wrote:
> [...]
> about
> money raised and equipment purchased.
>
> However, not one picture was medical related or illustrating the
> incredible
> equipment they claimed to purchase.
>
> Most looked like happy snap people on holiday or similar activity.
>
> Director arrives coat in hand ready for lunch. I ask, "In these
> brochures
> the wording is interesting, but there isn't one picture illustrating
> the
> equipment in use.  Nor any medical scenes and it's all lousy looking
> cheap
> stock pictures!"
>
> She looked me right in the eye and said, "that's why you're here!"
> Then
> smiled!
>
> "We want the ted Grant look in black & white photos of the medical
> world
> doing their stuff as you did in your books and what you did before
> for us!
> Oh yes, and we've just fired the graphic design company and hired a
> new one.
> They've already been told, you will be the photographer, Period! And
> assisting in picture selection for all promotions!"
>
> And away we went for a very nice lunch and she paid! :-)
>
> Oh and the fee in case yer curious? Oh sorry I can't disclose that,
> lets
> just say I'm smiling! :-)
>
> So I think what happened here is, this is a case of an organization
> who in
> the past had used a professional photographer & talent. But then
> being told
> they were going to save money by using stock. Realized two bit
> pictures for
> next to nothing packaged and fiddled in PhotoShop just don't do the
> job when
> it comes to high stake dollar situations. Cheap begets cheap!
>
> Is it an indication news papers are going to change? Not right now,
> but
> during the latter part of the 70's into the 80's many ad agencies
> were all
> saying B&W was dead. Only to have it return like thunder because they
> finally realized B&W has a people power look colour doesn't!
>
> Don't argue. Remember the big car manufactures and clothing people who
> switched to B&W. Finally it kind of balanced out using whichever
> medium
> gives the greatest impact for the situation.
>
> But I'm afraid photographers of all disciplines are in for a rocky
> economic
> ride for some time to come. All I can say is. "I'm glad I'm near the
> end of
> a career, well OK in 20 years!" ;-)
>
> And the light at the end of the tunnel? It isn't very bright! But
> being an
> optimist I believe it will get brighter because cheap begets cheap!
> Eventually even bean counters have to admit it.

that's the way to go Ted...

I think your long term optimism is well placed, sure hope so. Your own
experience suggests from the ashes of failed enterprises will come a
new paradigm, a demand for quality, maybe even a new Life magazine.

Instead of a garbage in , garbage out mentality...

a new approach on the horizon...

imagine, if you are going to do it, do it right...

Steve