Subject: [Leica] In defense of the newspapers
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Apr 11 11:35:46 2008

At 01:05 PM 4/11/2008, Harrison McClary wrote:
 >The loss of readership and advertising revenue is nothing new to
 >newspapers.  Back in the early 90's when I was still working in Atlanta
 >for the Daily News, A New York Times paper, it was far too common to
 >hear of a paper somewhere closing.  That was one of the first big waves
 >of closings, at that time most two paper towns became one.

Well, first came the death of the afternoon
papers.  In the old days, even small US cities
had a morning paper and an afternoon paper and a
lot of us read both, one before we went to work
and the other when we returned home.  The
afternoon papers suffered terminal sepsis from
the Idiot Eye and went into Cheney-Stokes
Breathing in the 1970's and 1980's.  So, we went
through 20 years of a cycle of
elimination:  first, the morning and afternoon
papers would consolidate onto a common printing
plant, with the loss of a lot of jobs, some on
the press room and some editorial and some
content.  Then, one common company would pick up
the ownership of both, normally the company
owning the morning paper buying out the afternoon
paper.  Then they laid off the afternoon paper's
editorial and content staff and just went to a
VERY long production day, with one paper having
two main editions, the morning and the
afternoon.  And then the afternoon edition was killed off.

For instance, look to the Richmond Times-Dispatch
and the News-Leader.  Look to the Roanoke Times
and the Roanoke World-News.  Look to any USian
city and this cycle can be seen.  The
consolidations allowed the morning papers to stay
afloat through the 1990's but they became
hard-pressed by the turn of the century.  Ted has
properly pointed out that the companies owning
newspapers are making healthy profits but these
profits do not come from their newspapers, which
are bleeding wounds on the corporate balance
sheets.  They make their money from other
sources, even down to the printing of those
fund-raising calendars put out by high-school football teams and the like.

Finally, bear in mind that US laws impose
criminal and civil penalties on Corporate
Directors and Officers who fail to take all
reasonable steps to ensure a decent profit, as
they are seen as fiduciaries for the
stockholders.  This doctrine arose when Henry
Ford tried to cut the price of the Model T in
1921 and the stockholders rebelled.  When the
Court ruled in favor of the stockholders, Ford
bought them out, took the company private, and
cut the price of the Model T as he had intended,
and almost ended up in bankruptcy during the boom
times of the 1920's.  It is not so much a matter
of control by the bean-counters, as this has been
the rule since at least 1900, nor a matter of
"corporate greed" as it is a matter of those
running the corporation feeling a natural
reluctance to go to prison   And folks like
Elliot Spitzer only made that situation much worse.

USians are oddballs on this topic.  Everyone
loves to gripe about the incomes enjoyed by the
major US oil companies without choosing to
remember that these companies are owned by the
little guys:  the average individual stockholder
of Exxon, for instance, holds ten shares or less,
and more than half of Exxon is owned by Union and
Government retirement pension funds, especially teachers' unions.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] In defence of the newspapers)