Subject: [Leica] Señoritas on the Semana Santa procession
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Apr 12 11:21:29 2008

> Hola Luis,
>
> good set of pics...
>
> my prefs goes for the first of the group, maybe because of the "vintage"
> look of the picture or because of the se?orita's face expression or maybe
> because of the look Summilux comes up with.
> I think this is definitely a good one.
>
> Don't like too much of sharpness that Elmarit ASPH, in comparison with the
> one mentioned above...
>
> And didn't like either that other se?orita making a snoop of you.
> It is not what we'd be calling a pleasant expression in her face.
>
> Did you ask her to shoot before anything else ? :-) It sounds to me you
> didn't and that's what she meant, I think.
> It would make her to charge you some good euros to get a model release out
> of her, wouldn't it ?!
>
> Get rid of all ASPH glasses and keep all pre ASPH ones
> They rather look more like any of those japanese glasses, don't they ?  ;-)
> I mean I can't see the famous Leica glow in those pictures as can't see
> either smooth transitions. hehee...
>
> Keep shooting...
>
> Saludos
>
> Pablo

I know we're slightly kidding here but on the record I'd like to state again
and weigh in on the side of  I think the modern ASPH Leica glass lacks in my
opinion nothing.
I find no reason not to use them. None.
I find no brittleness. No lack of Bokeh. Nothing. Nothing negative.
I have 16x20 fiber darkroom prints from many Leica modern ASPH glass.
They don't look funny in any way that I can tell or anyone's had the guts to
tell me.
One print I took in Boston a night shot of mannequins in a shop window with
Delta 400 in Xtol 1:3 has been twice mistaken for large format. 4x5. And it
was hand held. Taken with a 35mm Asph Summicron.
I'm not of the impression that the design parameters of this glass match up
to my also very beloved Nikon glass. Or how much they relate at all.
But classic nikon glass and the newer stuff with the curved many blades have
different looks. The modern Nikon stuff the Bokeh is a lot better a design
parameter assigned to German glass.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) (RE: [Leica] Señoritas on the Semana Santaprocession)