Subject: [Leica] Re: Se ? oritas on the Semana Santa procession (Mark Rabiner)
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Sun Apr 13 11:45:03 2008

On Apr 12, 2008, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I know we're slightly kidding here but on the record I'd like to
> state again
> and weigh in on the side of  I think the modern ASPH Leica glass
> lacks in my
> opinion nothing.
> I find no reason not to use them. None.
> I find no brittleness. No lack of Bokeh. Nothing. Nothing negative.
> I have 16x20 fiber darkroom prints from many Leica modern ASPH glass.
> They don't look funny in any way that I can tell or anyone's had
> the guts to
> tell me.

I should know better than to go here, but I guess that I don't.

I don't see anything "funny" in shots taken with this lens. Just like
the apocryphal Marlboro, there's a Lot to Like in the ASPH 35.  One
of these things is likely a great ability to separate the focal plane
from the background.  But the way in which it accomplishes this is
apparently not just by rendering this focal plane in a more acute way.

In fact, there's seems to be a fascinating difference between the 4th
gen. spherical and the current version in something that looks like
depth of field, although my consultant in optical science sez that
it's actually more related to the ever-popular bokeh business.  When
focused on a nearby object wide open, objects far distant from the
focal plane are rendered more sharply in the spherical version than
in the ASPH.  Here's one person's examples:

http://www.jimarnold.org/galleries/leica_35_test/

I used to think that this was all governed by the usual depth-of-
field tables, but apparently this ain't the case.  Here's a statement
from Bob Atkins:

Depth of field is also NOT directly related to background blur. Depth
of field equations tell you over what range of distances objects will
appear to be acceptably sharp (or at least not unacceptably unsharp).
It tells you nothing about how much blur there will be of objects
well outside the depth of field. That's governed by different
physical parameters and determined using totally different equations.

According to my consultant, it's the wave equations (which take phase
issues into account, among other things) that need to be considered
in order to explain this seeming breach of all that we hold dear in
the depth-of-field formulas.

Also, although I haven't done any rigorous tests for this, I hear
tell there's enough difference in the distortion of the two that if
you put straight lines really close to the edges of the frame (as I
often do) there can be some slightly more visible bowing.  Here's a
recent street snap, shot wide open with a 4th gen 35 that illustrates
an instance where I'm really surprised at how well formed the store
signs are across the street even though I'm focussed just a few feet
in front of the camera.  Also, i put some stuff right up to the edges:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/95559160

So, if you like the way your snaps look when made with a certain
lens, trust your instincts.

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Re: Se ? oritas on the Semana Santa procession (MarkRabiner))