Subject: [Leica] Antivirus question
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Sun Apr 20 13:59:15 2008

Phil

Norton slows down the startup and the whole computer, and does not offer
more or better protection than many less costly tools. I do not recommend it
to anybody. To be honest it's one of the biggest crap I ever installed on a
PC. If you want to remove it, the usual uninstall process (by the
application uninstall icon on the program folder, or by system>software)
does not really clean your computer from that pest.

After tons of complaints about that fact, Symantec was forced to publish a
removal tool that works: http://tinyurl.com/7eqv8

Personally I use the german tool antivir http://www.free-av.de/en/index.html
(also available in english), it's free if you don't mind the ad screen after
the daily update, or costs 20 Euro a year without the ad screen. It's
programmed by one skilled person, and has won about every price such a tool
can whin around here in Europe. It does only the job you expect it to do,
and does not slow down neither the computer's startup nor it's regular
operating.

A friend had caught a heavy trojan recently which completely froze down his
pc. Neither Norton (on his computer) nor Kaspersky (on his network's server)
had detected anything or were able to kill it. After a quick install,
Antivir recognized and banned the beast, the other ones took several days to
update their virus definition databases for that particular one. (Admittedly
this is always a race against the time and sometimes this one is faster,
another time the other one.)

Didier

Replies: Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson) ([Leica] Antivirus question)